Newspaper Article: Desert Survivor 10 Years On

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 11:20
ThreadID: 70965 Views:4730 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Very interesting article in today's (Saturday's) West Australian newspaper about the American, Robert Bogucki, who walked into the Great Sandy Desert and nearly did not survive.

Article

The weblink is only a couple of paragraphs. The story in the paper runs over several pages and will continue next week.

It really is an interesting story. Reminds me of that movie "Into the Wild".

Young people trying to believe in something else, when all they need to do to get through life is believe in themselves.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:16

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:16
I still have the original paper from August 24 1999 reporting on his finding. 6 full pages including the front page.

It was a massive story at the time - I was glued to the TV every night, love that kind of stuff!!!!

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 376149

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:23

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 13:23
I even have a copy of the orginal newstand poster:

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643511

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:09

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:09
Geeeez,

good to see another OCD patient !!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643521

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:21

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:21
He was a nutter then.

He's a nutter now.

Coz he's in Alaska, hes someone else's nutter problem now, thankfully not ours!

Luckily for them, if he "does a Begucki" again - likely he will end, Bear Droppings.

Expensive bear droppings...considering what it cost us taxpayers to "save a nutter from his own stupidity".

I hope they took his passport off him...I'd hate him to come back and cost us more taxpayers $ and deprive the bears of a decent feed!

Sorry - I just call em as i see em.

Ohh yeah - I didn't need to read The West's 6 pages of crap when he was found 10 years ago, or their 6 years of crap, now 10 years later, to reach those conclusions.

A nutters a nutter - whichever way you look at it.

Simple.

Using my exclusive patented "nutter avoidance strategy" software, I've so far managed to not make any nutters (aside from those family members for whom I cannot escape responsibility) into my problem - with the exception of course of those "internet stalkers" who object to my posts and want to track me down and kill me.

The only nuts I want anything to do with come in a Jar with peanut butter for my morning toast!

Begucki's only legitimate claim to fame, is that we ozzies have coined a colloquialism after him - for people with only half a brain, that do a runner with no water or food into the desert, to meet with their god.

"Dun a Begucki" will live on in Australia's language for at least a generation or two, unless of course he or (god forbid) one of his offspring, come back and repeat the effort within another generation or two.

Whats the name of his Alaska property?

"Dunabegucki"?
It oughtta be!

There should be one a them "Danger Danger Will Robinson" robots at the front gate - waving its arms and saying loudly - "Danger Danger - nutter Begucki within - to warn anyone stupid to involve themselves with the idiot.

Is he working in Alaska and earning $ to send back to the Australian Taxpayers who paid their taxes to save his sorry nutter azz?

Didn't think so!

The defense rests your honor - the guys a nutter - to be avoided at all costs - end of story.

Cheers fellow Begucki-ites! ;o)

Cheers
AnswerID: 376155

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:48

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:48
Hi Flywest,

You did ramble on a bit, what was the weed you was chewing on while you wrote it ?

Yep . . it's a pity we don't have bears here and a few other animals that would make people take a bit more care

Dunedigger
FollowupID: 643526

Follow Up By: Flywest - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 14:58
No whaccybaccy or stimulants needed for me - I'm stupid enough sober!. ;o)

Cheers
FollowupID: 643531

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:42

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:42
Sorry Gone Bush ... that was meant to be a response to the comments from Flywest. He put forward a pretty forthright view which I enjoyed and had a good laugh at, and responded accordinlgy.

Just lost part of the thread in the reply. Sorry.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 643575

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:19

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:19
Exactly my thoughs Flywest. I ignored that terrible daily rags total waste of newsprint on him and the other recent nutters death, Michael Jackson.
I'm sure many many trees could be saved if papers like the "Worst Australian" were never printed in the first place but then, how would people know where all those super bargains and specials were.
90% ads., about 8% heart warming crap stories and the rest left for news!
FollowupID: 643644

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:40

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 11:40
Flywest said:

Is he working in Alaska and earning $ to send back to the Australian Taxpayers who paid their taxes to save his sorry nutter azz?

Didn't think so!

-----

Aussie Taxpayers didn't save his sorry arse. OK, they funded the initial search for him, but they gave up looking for him - left him for dead wrongly or rightly.

His parents funded all of the second successful search for him.

And don't forget the $25000 that his parents gave to the Emergency Services which funded search and rescue equipment.

I guess you missed those points when you failed to read that in the paper.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643645

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 13:41

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 13:41
hmmm, funny that a lot of people call it a waste of taxpayers' money when a foreign national/tourist goes missing in our country but when it's one of ours it's a great survival story of a "tough and courageous Aussie".
FollowupID: 643653

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 18:37

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 18:37
I don't think money spent rescuing people whether it be because of their own stupidity or not, is a waste at all.
We do it for others at sea or on land or up mountains and other countries will do the same for our citizens.
What I don't have to do is the read the garbage written in the West Australian to fill pages of their crap newspaper.
Alan.
FollowupID: 643682

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 15:23

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 15:23
Hi Gone Bush:

You've got to stop sitting on the fence and say what you really think.

:)

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 376164

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 15:40

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 15:40
Jack, that's a bit too cryptic for my old brain.

You may wish to elaborate here or by MM.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 643538

Reply By: lizard - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 17:30

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 17:30
And whilst the media were furiously reporting about this bloke , a young Hayley Dodd disappeared (quietly) near Badgingarra WA ... some focus there may have made a difference
AnswerID: 376177

Follow Up By: Flywest - Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:01

Saturday, Jul 25, 2009 at 19:01
That was an unmitigated tragedy - perhaps a EO search day where everyone shows up and we walk that bit of road shoulder to shoulder thru all the roadside vegetation looking for clues?

Lack of man power for a proper search MIGHT be a turning point?

That or we get the psychics involved?

Cheers

FollowupID: 643569

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 20:05

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 20:05
I just watched tonight's episode of Deal or NO Deal which featured ALL clairvoyants, psychics whatever.

They should have all known what was in their cases, ha ha no way.

What a lot of charlatans, don't rely on them to find any clues to Hayley Dodd's disappearance.

Cheers
FollowupID: 643698

Sponsored Links